If there’s one thing I constantly crave (besides strawberries), it’s spaghetti & meatballs. A slight setback in my Italian food desire is gluten. If I could, I’d eat lasagna and spaghetti on a daily basis but unfortunately gluten/grain is a no-go for me. SO, I am following the spaghetti squash craze and making my own paleo, grain free yumminess!
I have to admit that during my afternoon run today, all I could think about was dinner and it definitely pushed me to get home faster.
As a little side note, I’m currently training for my first marathon. Yikes. Yes, I am already so nervous and it’s still 4 months away! With that being said, I want to create meals that give me enough protein and carbs for my training so violà! Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs!
If you’ve never had spaghetti squash, it’s great with garlic shrimp or alfredo sauce, and you can even make spaghetti squash pizza crust! A quick search brought me to this site with 43 recipes.
Due to food sensitivities, I can’t have oregano or onions and therefore left them out for my meatballs. Also, I ran out of parsley so I didn’t add that in. I’m mentioning this because I want you to see that it’s possible to tweak these recipes to fit your needs.
For tomato sauce, I used Rao’s Homemade Sensitive Formula Marinara Sauce. I would definitely recommend this because it’s delicious with only a few ingredients (but all of their sauces are fantastic).
For a non-paleo version, top the whole thing off with some parmesan cheese and indulge!
Quick (non-sponsored) tangent: I recently signed up for a 30-day paleo restart program that gives you recipe suggestions and helps guide you into a paleo diet. If you are interested in going Paleo but don’t know where to start, try it out! I gained inspiration for this recipe from them but they also have a free two week meal plan that provides some menu ideas.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, halved lengthwise
- 1½ lbs ground grass-fed beef
- 1½ ground pork*
- ½ medium onions, grated
- 1 egg
- 3 garlic cloves, minced*
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 44 oz of quality tomato sauce (I used Rao's Homemade Sensitive Formula Marinara Sauce)
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut open the spaghetti squash, scrape out the seeds, and coat the inside/edges with olive oil.
- Place the spaghetti squash facedown on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 mins.
- While the squash is cooking, combine the meat with everything but the marinara sauce (and olive oil).
- Form meatballs (between 28 and 32).
- Heat 2-2.5 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skilled over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the meatballs and reduce to medium heat after a few minutes. Occasionally turn the meatballs until they are completely browned.
- Pour in the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer. Coat the meatballs until cooked through.
- Serve & enjoy.
*I added more garlic cloves (about 6-8 cloves) because of allergy modifications→ I didn't use onions, parsley, or oregano. However, I'd definitely recommend them if you don't have allergies because it'll make it even more flavorful.
*Don't be afraid to add more herbs to taste. This recipe is a guideline so you can increase or decrease ingredients to taste.