I used to love going to Hibachi (a restaurant where they cook food in front of you), especially for the fried rice. A grain free diet means no rice, so I discovered my new love for Cauliflower Fried Rice.
Cauliflower rice is a much lighter alternative to white/brown rice. Similarly, replacing cauliflower rice provides an extra serving of veggies where a starch would usually be.
This dish is so simple to make, particularly if you purchase the fresh riced cauliflower from Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. Still, you can purchase a full head of cauliflower, cut off the florets, and either use a box grater or a food processor to create the rice. With the box grater, you would grate the florets like you would grate cheese.
All you need for this one pan recipe is cauliflower, garlic, green peas, carrots, eggs, and soy sauce. You can add more ingredients (like onions) or remove ingredients as desired; it’s very customizable. I purchased a bag of fresh riced cauliflower and frozen peas from Trader Joe’s and kept them in the freezer until I was ready to use them.
If you are looking to avoid gluten (or grains), be careful what soy sauce you use. I used Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce, but a lot of soy sauces contain wheat so make sure to check the ingredients list if you’re gluten conscious.
Simple Trick: if you happen to find the cauliflower fried rice in the frozen section of Trader Joe’s, stock up! This pre-made fried rice is incredibly popular and often sells out quickly. It’s a great option for quick meals for anybody in a time crunch. They also offer simple riced cauliflower in the frozen section that also sells out quickly (along with the fresh riced cauliflower I used for this recipe). My advice would be to stock up and just keep it in your freezer.
- 1 bag fresh riced cauliflower (about 16 oz) or 2 heads of cauliflower*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots.
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 2 eggs, scrambled.
- To create your own rice, cut the florets off the cauliflower and either grate by hand using a box grater or put into a food processor.
- In a pan, drizzle olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic.*
- Add the cauliflower to the pan and cook until warm.
- Add the peas and carrots and cook until warm.
- Create a well in the middle of the rice, and pour in the eggs. Allow to cook in the middle before mixing throughout the rice.
- Mix compeletely and enjoy.
*If you're planning on using onions, sauté them at the same time as the garlic.